Sunday 23 March 2014

The Orchid bun

The Orchid bun is named for its ressemblance to the flower and was invented by AnaisSatin from the Long Hair Community forums. Here are her original instructions on how to do it:
                        http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=40856
And here is the LHC thread that introduced me to the style:
                        http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=87176

I guess you can either twist it to one side or the other. Probably because I am left-handed, I ended up twisting towards the left. This is how it came out, with a Ficcaré-style clip (a fork or hairstick works as well):
                                   


My hair being very slippery, I guess it didn't came out as polished as I'd ideally wanted it to be, plus the orchid shape isn't that good either. But practice makes perfect!

  • YouTube video useful tutorials:
This one (by findingmyowntwofeet) was very useful to me when I first tried the style. It's also one of the Orchid videos that ressemble Anais' original tutorial the best, imo: 
                                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcoXIZ_yLWQ


Then I've selected a couple more, by Haartraum and  torrinpaige. These seem to do an additional twist when creating the orchid shape, I haven't tried that version yet:


                                           



2 comments:

  1. Came here via the LHC Orchid Bun thread - the clip holding yours in the pic is *stunning*! May I ask where you got it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi and yay for fellow LHC'ers :)! Thanks ^^ I got it quite a few years ago at a local shop which I believe might be closed by now, so sorry I can't help out more :S! I'm actually in a quest to find similar clips to this one, because this one, apart from being lovely ^^, works great to hold my hair and I can't seem to find them lately :S

      Delete