Monday 2 September 2019

Hairstyles - Knotted braided ponytail (Valkyrie hairstyle variation)

 Today's hairstyle tutorial is a braided variation of the knotted 'Valkyrie Ponytail', which I learnt thanks to Janet Stephens' video:


This length-shortening updo/half-up is pretty easy and fast to do and very comfortable to wear. It's great for when you don't want to wear all your hair up, but also want to keep it a bit contained. Also, the knot tends to keep the dangling braid hanging a bit further away from the neck and shoulder area, and thus prevents it from getting stuck in stuff more easily. I've been wearing both the standard Valkyrie ponytail and my braided variation (either three-strand or rope-braid) as a weekly staple for nearly a year now :D. Recorded tutorials will be coming soon, but in the meantime here are some written instructions as usual :)

These pics are from an August outing and feature my red and green paranda . This ensemble always kinda reminds me of a Roman priestess for some reason 😃 xD
 


  • For this style I used:
-Comb and/or brush as needed.
-A metal-free elastic for the initial ponytail
-Paranda for the braid
-Hairstick
-Open pins for final touches

Steps:
 
-Pull the hair into a high ponytail - mid-height is my preference.
-Braid the ponytail, with a paranda for added volume (tutorial here). It can be a three-strand braid, or a rope-braid, for ex. 
-Now comes the knot - Same as described in the video above, but with the braid. The knot is enough to hold the hair in many cases, but I prefer to further secure the style using a hairstick. This also looks nice, and ensures that the hanging braid stays out of the way in a comfortable way.
-I use a couple of open bun pics to polish some flyaways at the nape.
-Add aloe vera gel or hairspray to set the style and potential flyaways (if you want), and it's done!

Pic gallery of this style:

Tolkien ranger OC cosplay (2018):





 
SwordWomanRiona / rionashairblog.blogspot.com.es
If you copy-and-paste this post and/or alter it without any permission, credit or link, you're stealing my content. In that case, please stop. Please ask before using my work, or at least share it properly, giving credit to me and my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment